Call your state lawmakers now. Tell them that HB 97 is NOT charter reform that was worth the 20-year wait.
Tell your legislator to vote "No" on House Biill 97. Here are some of the reasons why -
PA Department of Education Website
On Wednesday, April 19th at 9:30 am, the PA Senate Education Committee will meet in Harrisburg. They will not be discussing how to adequately fund our schools so districts throughout PA can avoid making another round of brutal cuts in programs and services for students. They will not be discussing how to ensure all children in PA receive a quality education. They will also not be discussing how to reduce the time spent and emphasis placed on standardized testing.
Instead, some PA senators on the Education Committee will be pushing an agenda that has nothing to do with improving education quality for students. They will be voting on SB 383, a bill permitting school personnel to carry concealed firearms in our children’s public schools.
If you don’t want teachers and staff carrying loaded guns in your community’s public schools, please CLICK HERE to contact your legislators NOW. Tell them to oppose SB 383 and to keep guns out of Pennsylvania’s public schools.
There is NO evidence that arming school personnel increases school safety. In fact, the National School Safety and Security Services advises against arming teachers and school staff and has stated it is, “a high risk to the safety of students, teachers, and other school staff.”
— Sen. Pat Browne (R-Lehigh), Senate Appropriations Committee chair
- Monday, May 1, 6-8 p.m. — Parkway West CTC, 7101 Steubenville Pike, Oakdale, PA 15071
- Tuesday, May 2, 7:30-9 a.m. — A W Beattie Career Center, 9600 Babcock Blvd, Allison Park, PA 15101
- Tuesday, May 2, 6-8 p.m. — Crawford County CTC, 860 Thurston Road, Meadville, PA 16335
- Wednesday, May 3, 6-8 p.m. — St. Marys Area School District, 977 S. St Marys Road, Saint Marys, PA 15857
- Thursday, May 4, 6-8 p.m. — Central Montco Technical High School, 821 Plymouth Road, Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
- Friday, May 5, 7:30-9 a.m. — Lehigh Carbon Community College, 4525 Education Park Dr, Schnecksville, PA 18078
- Monday, May 15, 6-8 p.m. — CTC of Lackawanna Co., 3201 Rockwell Avenue, Scranton, PA 18508
- Tuesday, May 16, 6-8 p.m. — PSBA, 400 Bent Creek Boulevard, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050
- Wednesday, May 17, 6-8 p.m. — Lycoming CTC, 293 Cemetery Street, Hughesville, PA 17737
- Thursday, May 18, 6-8 p.m. — Chestnut Ridge SD, 3281 Valley Road, Fishertown, PA 15539